This has been one of my (and my family’s) all-time favourite recipes for a loooong time. I’m almost ashamed I haven’t shared it with you before now! These sweet potato and black bean wraps are one of our go-to “vegetarian food can be amazing, too” recipes.
And they are SO EASY. 🙂
You mix some sweet potato puree with a load of other vegetables, black beans and cheese, and then you dump it in a wrap and bake for a few more mins.
Hmm, that somehow didn’t quite convey quite how yummy these are…
These wraps are sweet, very cheap, mostly made from store-cupboard and freezer ingredients, adaptable for what you have on hand, and they freeze wonderfully. I strongly recommend making a double batch and freezing half for a later date. It’ll be perfect for the next “aaaargh, it’s late and I haven’t even thought about what we’ll have for dinner yet” day. Which for me will probably be tomorrow. Do you have those days, too?
Just take the frozen ones out of the freezer, lay them in a baking tray, sprinkle with cheese and bake from frozen for an extra 5 mins.
I hope you love these delicious enchiladas as much as we do. They are delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and the sweet potato is so sweet and kid-friendly that they are unlikely to notice they are also eating a load of other vegetables!
A super quick and easy meal that is made from mostly store-cupboard and freezer ingredients, this family favourite is easy to keep all the ingredients on hand and whip up at a moment's notice.
- 300 g (1 and 1/2 cups) sweet potato puree (I microwaved 2 medium sized sweet potatoes for 8 mins and peeled and mashed them)
- 1 400g (14oz) tin cooked black beans
- 200 g (1 cup) frozen sweetcorn
- 200 g (1 cup) frozen sliced peppers (or 2 small bell peppers/1 large of any colour)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced (or 4 finely sliced spring onions)
- 1 tbsp jarred jalapenos, chopped, optional (check label to ensure they are sugar free)
- 120 g (3/4 cup) full-fat cream cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 6-8 wholewheat tortilla wraps (you can use gluten free, low carb or even lettuce leaf wraps to suit dietary preferences)
- handful grated cheddar, for topping
- low sugar salsa, sour cream, more jalapenos, sugar free hot sauce and/or guacamole, to serve
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas 5 (if baking). Mix the sweet potato puree, black beans, corn, peppers, onion, jalapenos and cream cheese together in a large bowl. Spoon large tablespoons of the mixture into the wraps and sprinkle with the fresh coriander. Fold in the ends of each wrap and roll until closed. Place the burritos, seam side down, in a baking dish, and sprinkle with cheddar.
You now have two options, depending on how much time you have: the best way is to bake them in the preheated oven for about 15-20 mins, or until the cheese is melted and filling is hot. I personally then like to pop them under a grill (broiler) on a High setting for a few mins until going golden and cheese is bubbling. If you don't have much time, you can pop each wrap in the microwave for about a minute on High and then sprinkle with cheese and pop them under the grill for a few mins until golden and bubbly. Either way, you will end up with a delicious wrap with crispy edges, golden melted cheese and a creamy, sweet filling!