Shortbread? Always sweet, right?
Turns out, a savoury version is not just every bit as nice, it’s better. Waaay better.
Soft, crumbly, creamy and oh-so-more-ish. I’m warning you now. It’s hard to stop eating these. They are just so good!
And it gets better…
…they are made with only 3 ingredients (plus salt, and seeds if you want them). 3 easy to find and cheap to buy ingredients. Flour, butter, cheese.
If you have those ingredients on hand, you could be eating these shortbread biscuits in about 25 mins. From now. As a snack, as an after dinner treat, as something to serve people coming round, as a little appetizer before the meal. It works for so many things. And kids love them, too. Making them, and of course, eating them.
So what are you waiting for? 😉
These delicious savoury shortbread biscuits are crumbly, soft and very more-ish. They are made in about 20-25 mins with just 3 ingredients. And they are so easy they are perfect for a spot of family baking with little ones.
- 75 g (heaped 1/2 cup) plain (all-purpose) or self-raising flour
- 75 g (heaped 1/2 cup) spelt or wholewheat flour (or more plain flour, but it's tastier with wholegrain)
- 1 tsp baking powder, if not using self-raising flour)
- 110 g (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 75 g (3/4 cup) grated Cheddar (or use Parmesan or another hard cheese)
- handful of seeds (I use a mix of chia, sesame and caraway), optional
- pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 190C/350F/gas 5. Blitz the flours, baking powder (if using), cubed butter and about 2/3 of the cheese in a food processor until it forms a dough. You may need to add 1-2 tbsp milk or water to help it come together. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1cm (1/2") thick and cut out small 5cm (2") circles with a cookie cutter. Place on a lined baking tray and sprinkle with the leftover cheese (and some salt and seeds if using), then bake for 15-20 mins, until golden brown and hardened. Allow to cool completely before serving.